Unexpected benefit of the Wii

Last year, when Havoc started K3, I bribed him to go the first few weeks. I said if he went to school all 3 days without fussing or crying we'd go to McD's on the last day. It became a habit. Every Thursday, we went to McD's. It continued into this year, though I was able some weeks to 'forget' to go. I'm not terribly concerned that their health will be ruined by eating 4 mcnuggets and some apples once a week & the $9ish it was costing me (with cookies for dessert, more if I get something too) was not the end of the world financially either.  I just wasn't happy that it was now expected.  I wasn't so unhappy i was just going to cut it off & endure the wailing & gnashing of teeth that would ensue.  But I did want to go back to being a reward, not a right. I'd been reinforcing that in January with much wailing & gnashing of teeth (often my own).

Then we got the Wii.  There is a video rental place just up from the McD's. You can rent a Wii game for 5 days for $6.99. You can also buy prepaid cards at a discount - $25 credit for $20, $40 for $32, etc. They don't have the largest selection of games; Blockbuster they ain't, but enough to keep the boys happy. They are more interested in racing games & Mario type things & there is a decent amount of those. If you are looking for any hot new games, you won't find them here.  By buying a $40 card can rent for 5 weeks and I save at least $13 over going to McD's, plus have enough left over to almost cover a 6th game or to rent one kiddie movie for Mayhem each of the 5 weeks as well. And the boys aren't eating McD's, which means I am not either. Not a bad deal. We get to try out a variety of games without dropping $25-50 a game. 

But I'm going to have to make the effort & go well out of my way to Blockbuster & rent Lego Star Wars. The video place doesn't have it, though they will be getting Lego Indiana Jones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alphanumeric Blog Hop

Weekly Winners Aug 24-30

Chillin’